Application Server Index
Application Server Terms
- DBMS - Database management system.
- IDL - Interface Definition Language
- normalized - Elimination of redundancy in databases so that all columns depend on a primary key.
- ODBC - Open Database Connectivity provides a standard API that applications use to access database information. ODBC drivers work on most databases. ODBC uses SQL calls to access the database. According to Microsoft's web site at: http://www.microsoft.com/data/odbc/ "It is based on the Call-Level Interface (CLI) specifications from X/Open and ISO/IEC for database APIs and uses Structured Query Language (SQL) as its database access language."
- ORB - Object Request Broker
- RDBMS - Relational database management system.
- SDL - Service Definition Language.
- SOAP - Simple Object Access Protocol is used to execute web services remotely. This is based on XML.
- SQL - Structured Query Language is a standard language for communication with a relational database management system (RDBMS).
- UDDI - Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration which forms directories to companies with back to back web services and other services.
- WSDL - Web Service Description Language is a method of describing web services in XML. The specification is at IBM's website.