- Network Model
- Physical Media
- Wireless Media
- Network Card
- Outside Connections
- Wide Area Network Connections
- Repeaters, Bridges, Routers
- Network Types
- Token Ring
- Architecture Comparisons
- Suites and Network Layers
- Installing Drivers
- Network Operating Systems
- Applications, mail, groupware, DBMS
- Backing up the network
- Web, SNMP, admin, firewalls
- Networking Terms and Definitions
Document the network installation and configuration.
- Cable installation information - Cable types with network diagrams showing jacks.
- Equipment information - Where the equipment was purchased with serial numbers, vendors and warranty information.
- Network resources - Document commonly used resources including drive mappings.
- Network addressing - Record the allocation of network addresses with diagrams.
- Network connections - Document or diagram how your network is connected to other networks.
- Software configuration - Software is installed on each network node outlining the sequence of software and driver installation required. Also document configuration files.
- User administration - Determine methods and policies for user names, passwords, and groups.
- Policies and procedures - Be sure network policies and procedures are defined and necessary personnel are aware of them.
- Base network performance - Determine normal traffic levels on the network.
- Hardware or software changes - document all changes to the network and record dates.
- Software licenses - Be sure you have valid software licenses for all software with license serial numbers recorded.
- Keep a history of troubleshooting - Record network problems and their solutions.
Troubleshooting and network management tools
- SMS - Systems Management Server from Microsoft can collect information of software on each computer and can install and configure new software on the client computers. It will also monitor network traffic.
Performance Monitoring Benefits
- Identify network bottlenecks.
- Identifying network traffic pattern trends.
- Provide information to help develop plans for increasing network performance.
- Determine the effects of hardware or software changes.
- Provide information to help forecast future needs.
Microsoft Complex Problem Structured Approach
- Set the problemís priority
- Identify the symptoms.
- Determine possible causes.
- Perform tests to determine the problem cause.
- Identify a solution by studying the test results.