Items to do when considering network backups.
- Set a backup schedule
- Determine data to be backed up and its importance to determine a backup schedule.
- Determine backup methods, media, and equipment to use. Backup methods include full backup, file copy, backup changed files without marking files as backed up (differential backup), or backup only the files that have changed since the last backup and mark them as backed up (incremental backup).
- Determine where to store backup information such as a safe.
- Test the backup and restore capability of the backup system and its media to be sure it really works.
- Maintain backup logs.
- Create and maintain a disaster recover plan. Rotate tapes so you could recover your data if your server room or main place of operations was destroyed.