- Security Functions
- Algorithm and Protocol Types
- Security Protocols
- Security Attacks
Computer Security Terms
- Ciphertext - Text or data that has been enciphered such that unauthorized persons should be unable to read it.
- decipher - The act of taking text that is enciphered so unauthorized persons cannot read it and processing it into plain text or data that can be read or used.
- encipher - The act of taking plain text or data and processing it into ciphertext so unauthorized personnel cannot read it or use it.
- MAC - Message Authentification Code
- MDC - Manipulation Detection Code
- MIC - Message Integrity Check
- One way hash functions - A function that can be easily performed one way but is difficult or impossible to reverse.
- plaintext - Normal text or data, before the enciphering process or after the deciphering process.
- Salting - Adding random data to a password prior to performing a one way hash on it. This is a means of stopping a dictionary attack.