Computer Security Requirements
This page is about your computer security requirements and is intended to save many people unnecessary reading. If you are an individual who is only concerned about the security needs of your home computer and do not want to learn alot about computer security, then there are some simple guidelines that you should read and you do not need to read this entire manual. You should read the Home Computer Security Article on this site. Most home computers require the following:
- A personal firewall when connecting to the internet over any type of connection.
- Anti-virus software that is kept updated.
- Back up your data onto another computer, CD-ROM, ZIP drive, or tape regularly.
- Regular security updates to the operating system (these are not as critical if a personal firewall is installed, but this item is still important).
- Regular updates to the applications run on the system such as Microsoft Office.
Be aware of the following:
- You should also be aware that most data that you send or receive on the internet can be read by other people. Therefore you should be aware of the sensitivity of the data or information you are sending. If you need to send confidential data you should only send it to sites that begin with https:// or use some software to encrypt your data.
- Be careful when opening email attachments since they may contain hostile programs even if your antivirus software has not detected it.
- Be careful when downloading and installing programs on the internet. You should scan any programs for viruses that you get on the internet, but also be aware that some programs may be spyware or other malware used to gain access to your system.
If you are someone who is responsible for your orgainzation's security and/or you are learning about computer security, then you should read this complete document.