Installing printers in Expert Mode
If you have CUPS installed you will see it in this menu.
The expert mode basically has two additional features:
Cups configuration: The cups configuration, display an option for IP address and port number
- And an automatic cups configuration
- Change the printing system: This allows you to queue or not to queue.
Cups: Common Unix Printing system
PDQ: Print don't queue
If you started your printer installation in expert mode, and you clicked on add printer.
Five different configuration options are available:
- Local printer: a printer directly connected to a parallel or USB port. Some printers are not detected automatically but in most cases they will be detected
- Printer on remote lpd server: A printer already served by another machine
- Enter the host name and the name of the printer exactly as on the remote machine
- Network printer (TCP/socket): A printer directly connected to your local network via IP address.
Enter the IP Address of the remote system device. On a JetDirect server the port number is usually 9100.