Windows NT Network Monitor
It is installed from the Network applet in control panel using the services tab. The service is called "Network Monitor Tools and Agent". This is not a fully functional network monitor. The tool that ships with SMS, a separate purchase, is fully functional. Network Monitor can:
- Capture frames coming from or going to the server
- Capture broadcast or multicasts.
This tool does not set the network card in promiscuous mode. It can be invoked from administrative tools after the install. Also there is a control panel applet installed for this tool. This tool can also detect other copies of Network Monitor running on other domain computers and what users are running it. Display sections include:
- Bar graphs - Network activity real time information. Graphs include network utilization, broadcasts per second, bytes per second, and frames per second.
- Session statistics - Sessions between this computer and others.
- Station Statistics - Includes frames sent and received, bytes sent and received,multicasts sent, directed frames sent, broadcasts sent, and network address.
- Summary statistics - Summation of captured statistics, network statistics, MAC statistics, MAC errors,, and per second statistics.
Frame detail Screen:
- Summary Pane - Top. Lists time, source and destination MAC address, and the transmission protocol.
- Detail Pane - Middle. Gives protocol information
- Hex Pane - Bottom. Shows hex values associated with the currently selected frame.
Captured data is saved in the default directory \WINNT_ROOT\system32\netmon\captures. A filter on the Monitor can be established to collect the frames you want. Filtering may be done based on:
- Protocol Properties
To see other users using Network Monitor, select "Identify Network Monitor Users" while in the Network Monitor program.
Network Monitor is installed from the control panel network applet services tab. It is "Network Monitor Tools, Agent". Once installed, there is a "Network Monitor" applet in the control panel where the password for the Network Monitor program may be set or changed. A program called "Network Monitor" is added to administrative tools.
Network Monitoring Agent Installation
When installed the following is added:
- Control Panel : Monitoring Agent
- Administrative Tools: Network Monitor.