Windows NT Services
These are minimum services required for a computer to be able to browse a Microsoft network.
- Computer Browser - Stores list of network resources.
- RPC configuration - Used during logon. Components are:
- Remote Procedure Stub - Gets RPC calls ready to send to the server.
- RPC Runtime - Passes the data between the local and remote computers
- Application Stub - Accepts the RPC requests.
- Remote Procedure - The called procedure.
- Server - The following items are configurable using the control panel Server applet:
- Minimize memory used by the service - Used when there are 10 or fewer computers on a network and memory is required for applications.
- Balance - Configures for 64 clients when file sharing or user validation is done often on the system.
- Maximize throughput for file sharing.
- Maximize throughput for network applications.
- Workstation - The workstation initiates the connection to the server. Therefore the binding order of the workstation will determine the first protocol to be attempted. The server binding order will not have much effect on binding determination speed since the workstation makes connection attempts based on its binding order.
A new service is:
- DFS - Distributed File System which aids management of shared network files by collecting network shares into one directory tree. This service does not come on the NT CDROM but may be downloaded from the Microsoft website. The networking clients must have updated versions of "Client Services for Microsoft Networks". I think this service is also called Windows NT Server Directory Service (NTDS). NTDS allows administrators to manage the network from any trusted workstation or server.
Services are controlled using the "Services" applet from the system control panel. The services control panel contains the following buttons:
- Continue - Restart a service that is paused.
- Startup - Allows configuration of startup mode to be "automatic", "manual", or "disabled". Can also select one of two radio buttons called "System Account" or "This Account".
- HW Profile - Allows selection of the hardware profile the service is being configured for.
To remotely start or stop services: