Windows NT Workstation Requirements
NT Workstation Installation Phases
- Gathering information
- GUI Installation part where the name of the computer is entered along with other information.
- Networking - Adapters, drivers and protocols are selected and installed.
- Finish - Time, date and other options are set.
Windows NT 4.0 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) specifies hardware that can be run with the NT operating system.
- Intel 80486/33 or higher (Pentium 75Mhz recommended), or a RISC processor such as MIPS, PowerPC, or DEC ALPHA.
- 125 MB hard disk . 120M for the workstation, 130 for the server. For RISC platforms, the minimum is 160MB. On i386 acceptable performance is provided with 200Mb.
- High-density 3.5-inch disk drive plus a CD-ROM drive.
- Memory of 12 MB minimum; 16 MB recommended for the workstation. For the server 16 MB is required. 24MB provides acceptable performance, 48 MB will increase performance. For RISC platforms the minimum is 16 MB, 24 Mb is recommended, 32 makes performance acceptable, and 64 increases performance. For the RISC Dec Alpha, 32Mb is required.
- A VGA or higher resolution video-display adapter.
- Mouse or other pointing device and Network adapter card(s).
There are currently two ways to check or test system compatibility.
- HCL - Hardware Compatibility List lists the computers and peripherals that have passed Windows NT compatibility tests. The HCL includes the following topics:
- CPU architecture support, which includes single and multiple processor support with CISC and RISC processors.
- Storage device support.
- Peripheral support including monitors, keyboards, pointing devices, modems, network cards, multimedia, and UPSs.
- NTHQ NT Hardware Qualifier Utility - This program will inspect the computer for hardware incompatibility problems. It runs in DOS, so you must but a DOS disk that supports your CD-ROM driver to run it. To enter the program on the NT Workstation CD-ROM, enter the directory "\SUPPORT\HQTOOL" and type the command "makedisk". This will make a floppy which you must boot from to do the test.