System Performance Monitoring
The System Monitor Windows 2000 tool replaces the Windows NT Performance Monitor tool (although I think it is the same tool, renamed for marketing reasons, and to make certification testing more confusing). System Monitor uses:
- Objects - A part of the computer system or operating system such as the processor, logical disk, memory, thread and other objects.
- Instances - When there are more than one occurance of an object such as threads.
- Counters - Used to measure some characteristic of an object. Specific counters are available for specific objects to measure their performance or use.
System Monitor can be used as was Performance Monitor to do some of the following:
- Create a baseline after system installation to compare system performance over time.
- Monitor system resource use.
- Find any performance problems.
- Determine bottlenecks to performance.
- Monitor changes in performance over time.
To start System Monitor select "Performance" in administrative tools. This tool runs on Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 servers. Alternatively Performance Monitor may be started on the command line by typing "perfmon"
Ways to View Statistics
- Alerts - The administrator can be notified when a counter exceeds or falls below a preset value. Saved as *.pma file. The computer for the alert along with object, counter, and threshold value must be specified. A specified program may be run if an alert is triggered.
- Chart - The default view. Graphs and histograms (vertical bar charts) are used. To switch to histograms, use the menu item "Options", "Chart" selection. The Gallery section has Graph and Histogram radio button selections. Graphs display data every second and display 100 seconds worth of data. Chart file saved as *.pmc. A particular counter may be highlighted by clicking on the counter and pressing the backspace key. Chart Options include:
Statistical values displayed include:
- Legend checkbox?
- Value Bar checkbox?
- Vertical Grid checkbx?
- Horizontal Grid checkbox?
- Vertical Lables checkbox?
- Vertical maximum textbox (Default is 100).?
- Gallary section - Graph and Histogram checkboxes?
- Update Time section - Periodic Updates and Manual Updates checkboxes with Interval (seconds) textbox.?
- Last - The most recent measurement of the counter on the chart.
- Average - The average measurement of the counter on the chart.
- Minimum - The lowest measurement of the counter on the chart.
- Maximum - Highest measurement of the counter on the chart.
- Duration - The amount of time on the chart.
- Log - Used to create data in log files for future analysis. Data can be acquited from several systems in one log file. Log files can be used to create charts, reports, or alerts by sending them back through performance monitor. Saved as *.pml. This information may be exported to a spreadsheet or database.
- Report - Used to show a large number of objects and counters at one time. It is a list of counters and their average values. Saved as *.pmr.